Getting to Chile

I have spent much of the last week getting from Argentina to Chile.  I love crossing borders - it’s always fun and exciting to see the subtle changes in supermarkets, signs, road quality, peoples’ attitudes, and of course there’s the new passport stamp!  Very exciting.

The route I took through the Lakes District was very scenic.  Unfortunately, I didn’t meet many local people or get to practice my Spanish, but the volcanoes towering over shimmering blue lakes nearly made up for that.  I don’t have many interesting stories that aren’t directly related to sitting on a bicycle 5-8 hours a day, but I will post some of the nicer pictures here.

Also, if you’re interested in the more nitty-gritty stories of biking, you can check out my crazyguyonabike journal here where I talk a lot more about the roads, the distances, and the climbs…

Action Shot of Me!
Action Shot of Me!

Scenic Bridge on the Ruta de los Siete Lagos
Scenic Bridge on the Ruta de los Siete Lagos

Cows Against a Mountain Backdrop
Cows Against a Mountain Backdrop

Crossing the Border
Crossing the Border

Volcano in the Distance
Volcano in the Distance

« Bariloche: Lazy Days and Beautiful Views. And Chocolate.
Alive and Well! »

Mom
posting from United States
December 12th, 2009 7:40 am

Beautiful! Your photos tell it all!

posting from United States
December 12th, 2009 8:08 am

Those pictures look awesome. How is the weather right now. I hope it isn’t too cold camping out at that altitude!

posting from United States
December 12th, 2009 1:46 pm

Wow! These pictures make me want to go to Chile!

Tey
posting from Mexico
December 12th, 2009 1:51 pm

magnificent shots, malena. i never thought that chile looked like this.

Grandma & Grandpa
posting from United States
December 12th, 2009 2:40 pm

Dear Malena,
We are enjoying all your travels! What an experience! How will you ever settle down to law school?? Do be careful. We love you so much! Merry Christmas and God be with you!
Love, Granpa and Grandma

Grandma & Grandpa
posting from United States
December 12th, 2009 3:00 pm

Grandma and I are enjoying your crazyguyonabike journal. Chile is indeed a beautiful country, and the Andes are amazing! From what I recall, the Chilean wines were both very good and inexpensive. I spent some time in Chillan in June 1980 (bone-chilling cold) during my Peace Corps extension in Santiago. I’m anxious to seen more photos as you travel north through Chile. Christmas in Santiago sounds lovely! Cuidado gringuita!
Aunt Jeanne

posting from Chile
December 13th, 2009 6:58 am

Thanks for the comments everyone! Chile (and Argentina) are obviously amazingly beautiful.

Aunt Jeanne + Grandma - I have to admit I bought a plane ticket to visit Quebec over Xmas and New Years, so I won’t be spending the holidays in South America… but I will be back around the 3rd or so to re-start my travels.

Brad
posting from United States
December 13th, 2009 8:39 am

Wow, that’s incredible. But your whole trip has been. But the scenery here is over the top, utterly breathtaking! (No pun intended, on either count.)

Peter
posting from United States
December 20th, 2009 4:31 pm

These photos are fantastic! Enjoy Quebec and the holidays, and if you are in town early January (and by town I mean North America) you should come visit me in Minneapolis! It is practically Canada after all…

posting from Canada
December 30th, 2009 10:08 pm

Malena! You are an endless fount of inspiration!

posting from Philippines
December 31st, 2009 5:57 am

the pictures look amazing!!! i’d love to cycle on my next trip too… i havent tried it before though…

Leave Your Comment