After arriving in Bariloche, I was largely without plan. All I knew was that I didn’t want to head into the wind anymore! I decided to spend a few days just relaxing, get a handle on the weather and wind direction and possible nice rides, and eventually start on the trip planning.
My first instinct, based on advice from other bikers, was to head south. However, I am beginnning to think that the weather this year is more unfavorable than in years past. For example, there have been hints of snow in Bariloche, and the wind has been very, very strong (and blowing to the north.) I have no desire to continue fighting a demoralizing, losing battle with the wind, and I miss the warm weather of regions further north, so my plans began to develop.Maybe. I still haven’t decided on much more than a morning departure tomorrow! Unless the winds or weather are particularly bad… I’m quite happy staying another day.
I did do a few touristy things in Bariloche, including a day of small-scale hiking (and even the teeny bit I did exercised muscles I haven’t used in a while!) and getting my picture taken with a Saint Bernard (special as my parents have one back home.) It is true, the area is beautiful, but the ever-present wind, the chilly cold, and the rain and fog have put a bit of a damper on my exploration of the region.
Instead, I’ve been enjoying the hostel life, making lovely friends from within my hostel, renewing my acquaintance with Julie and Thomas over a couple of amazing meals, and even meeting a few new bikers - a bit of a break from the cycling routine!